Basic Pancake Recipe
I really like this basic pancake recipe for all the right reasons.
Treat your family to a great breakfast with this easy homemade pancake recipe. It's healthy
too - no need for any store-bought pancake mixes.
Just follow our simple pancake recipe instructions to learn 'how to make
pancakes'. Only fresh wholesome products are used
in this recipe, which is the base for most of the pancakes I make.
I regard this pancakes recipe as my best pancake recipe, a family
favorite and staple, which has evolved gradually over several
Serve the pancakes with a dollop of butter, maple syrup or your
favorite topping. Or choose one of the delicious pancake topping
recipes on the site.
Just follow the easy 'how to make pancakes' instructions below for
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (hefty) pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons corn oil (the secret ingredient)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt thoroughly. (You can use a food
processor if it one is available, I usually just whisk
- In a suitably sized bowl, thoroughly mix the oil, egg, milk and
butter, and then add the previously mixed dry ingredients.
- Refrigerate the batter, which should be very thick, for 1-2
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a skillet, spread evenly, and pour º
cup of batter into the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium . When bubbles appear, flip pancake. After
about 1 minute, remove and serve with a dab of batter or one of our
great pancake sauces, and repeat preparation process.*
- Before you repeat the process, give the batter a quick mix, as
the flour has a tendency to sink to the bottom of the bowl. If the
batter is too thick, add a little milk and mix vigorously.