How to Make Fish Stock
I love fish soup! Fish stock is the base of many fish soup recipes, and is very easy to make from very simple and basic ingredients. This basic recipe will make a delicious tasting stock, which you can freeze and use later when needed.
Listed below you will find my basic stock recipe. You can add to or subtract from, any
of the flavor-making ingredients as you wish, but you should keep a few
rules in mind:
- Begin preparation of the stock with cold water only, so it will
absorb all of the lovely flavors from the fish and vegetables.
- Heat to a slow boil, to prevent 'burning' the delicate flavors
- Boil until the stock is substantially reduced.
How to make fish stock
Makes 4 cups
- 2 heads of a large fish, or 4-6 heads of small fish. I always use
the heads of the fish I am going to be using in the soup - it usually
works out as the right quantity)
- 2 large onions
- 4 carrots
- 2 celery heads
- 1 whole garlic, halved
- ½ cup parsley
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 whole peppercorns
- Salt and peeper to taste
- 4 pints water
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan in cold water, and slowly
bring to the boil
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the stock has reduced to half.
- Strain to obtain a clear stock.