German Sausage Chowder
We love to make this in our Dutch oven:
1 pound cooked bratwurst or knackwurst -- cut into chunks
2 medium potatoes -- peeled and coarsely diced
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
4 cups cabbage -- shredded
1 can whole kernel corn
3 cups milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded aged Swiss cheese
Snipped parsley, for garnish
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine sausage, potatoes, onion, 1/2 tsp. salt, and dash pepper.
2. Add 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are nearly tender.
3. Stir in cabbage (and corn if desired); cook 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the milk. Stir remaining 1/2 cup milk into flour; stir into soup.
5. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
6. Stir in cheese till melted. Garnish with parsley.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to General submission form.