Greek kebab lineup
Greek kebab recipe
I thought I’d start things off with one of my favorite recipes – favorite because it’s so easy to make, and so tasty too. Nice and spicy, but not too hot, it really brings out the great tastes of the eastern Mediterranean.
I usually make it hamburger-style, as shown here, but you can also form the meat mixture around skewers shish-kebab style.
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground lamb
2 thick slices white bread, crusts removed, 2 – 3 days old
1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
2 tablespoons parsley, finely diced
2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the bread in water, then drain well.
- Place the ground meet in a bowl. With your hands, mix in the bread, then mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- With slightly moist hands, prepare about 20 palm sized cutlets, about ¾ inches thick.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour, then grill over medium-high heat, flipping once (3-4 minutes per side, depending how well done you like it).
- Serve as is with salads, or in a half pita bread, with hummus, tahini, pickles, salad - or whatever you like.